Wednesday, January 23, 2013

African Trimmings


I went for a haircut, at a local hairdresser and I was told a beautiful lady would be cutting my hair. As I was seated and prepped, an African lady larger than me with enough padding around her bottom to stuff a full lounge suite greeted me.
When she asked scissors or "that hair shearing thing what's name I just forgot" I should have smelt a rat, I said scissors of course, being adventurous
Then she brought scissors and one of those big combs the blacks with 
Afros keep in their hair
So I figured, this is a well setup hairdresser that charges R25 for a haircut so it should be ok? All true.

Right?

Hell no

She used the scissors and comb and proceeded to remove a huge chunk out of the right side of my head
Some sense returned as Danny my work colleague and friend abruptly turned and walked out laughing.
I put my specs on and did I leave? No
I told her that maybe the shearer would be better. She smiled and almost skipped off to get it
Danny came in smiling like a bloody naughty kid, it looked like he had been crying his eyes were so wet
She came back and asked if she should shave the top the same length as the back and Danny left the shop again
No I stayed, not sure if it was shock or stupidity at this stage
She used a no 4 all over and then back came the scissors
She did the round the ear bits and I prayed and apologised for all I had and would ever do.
Returneth the crying Danny

He asked my beautifully gifted hair stylist if she would mind if he could help AND SHE YES!!!
What the hell

He did a No3 round the back and sides, then asked for a No 2. He did the edges and sides AGAIN with it and I was not saying a word. I asked how it looked and I could have sworn I heard him snort

It was over.

I got a wash AFTER the haircut AND paid full price for it
As we walked out he laughed like a bloody idiot, the reason he had to use the No 2 was that on the other side to the big comb cut disaster, she had cut a stripe while trimming round my ear. The No 3 didn't remove it

Sigh. It was a real experience for the costly sum of R25.
The moral of the story once again is that Africa isnt for sissies.

Nite All.

No comments:

Post a Comment