Monday, April 2, 2012

The African Adventure Begins



Imagine a land of gumboots, umbrellas, donkeys, upside down wheelbarrows, blanket people and medium sized rocks on your house roof. A place where all Europeans are referred to as Chinese in the rural areas and English is often greeted with a look of confusion, similar to the look my boerboel Lucy used to give me if I didn't bring here a McDonald's cheeseburger back from town.

It is a smog free country with night skies so clear you can see stars that haven't even made their debut in the cities yet, a truly magnificent African display of constellations.
Also present are a collection of tired, semi disabled vehicles, some resting and adorning a greenery where the engine used to be and others waiting for a transplant in an donor less environment.



The folk are friendly and patient and more importantly content with a simple lifestyle. there is a younger generation bursting through with the enthusiasm of puppy attacking a toilet roll and they are keen to get out and get to Johannesburg. They want the things they see on television and the rock and roll lifestyle. I am hoping this remains the dream of the kids in the city and that the rural folk remain pure, holistic and culturally rich.

Winter has not yet graced us with her presence, I am told she is bitter, wicked and has an ice cold heart. It will definitely snow and for us South Africans who think that a temperature of 21'C is a little cool, I expect to hear the clinking of frozen balls as I walk.

It is time to leave for now and until we meet again, let me grace you with this word of wisdom, "Close the fridge door I'm freezing"

Nite All

No comments:

Post a Comment