Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Date Night

There is something magical about your first date night with a beautiful young lady, add that she is your 14 year old daughter and you are on your way to a truly magnificent memory.

I collected a smiling chatty Simon from her Mom's home and she was waiting in the yard for me as I arrived, she wore shinny black jeans, red pumps and a red Hemisphere hoodie with a smile that would melt a rattlesnakes heart.

We chatted and laughed and finally decided on a restaurant after a detour for 2 magazines and a stroll through CNA, a Greek Restaurant as she had never eaten in one before. I ordered the Kleftika and Simon ordered her first ever fillet with side orders of steamed vegetables and roast potatoes. It was awesome, awesome like finding you had just inherited a pub on the beach in Jamaica. The meat melted, the veges were crisp and the potatoes slightly sweet.

Simon had an A4 handwritten list of conversational items, as she said 'I always think afterwards arghhh I should have told Dad that'. It was so sweet and so typical of her. After supper we set off for the search for the perfect setting for dessert and wandered into Mantovanis, stared transfixed at the cake display and headed upstairs to their lounge. We were the only ones there and Simon ordered chocolate brownies and icecream and a chocolate smoothie, a real death by chocolate challenge. I settled for a cuppachino and tiramiso. Stunning.

Then more chatter and time to drop my darling back at her Mom's house, we listened to grunge rock with growling and I kept a tentative eye on my heat gauge in the car as it was overheating rather badly.

I received a spine cracking hug from her, a huge smile and a kiss and as she walked down the driveway, I could not help smiling despite the fact that I was divorced.

I mean if this divorce means that I forge this sort of bond and relationship with my girls, then I am willing to remain single and bear the sad silent moments on my own.

What was the highlight of the evening for me? Must have been the smile I kept getting as her eyes sparkled and her words kept pouring out.

Thank you my Simon Pie.

Good night

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Made me smile from inside and cry a little on the outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post! :) your daughter is very blessed to have a dad like you, who loves her so much. and i'm sure, from the sounds of it, that the date meant just as much to her as it did to you. you're a great dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted, at 21, I STILL love date nights with my dad...the kind of relationship you develop with your princesses is one not easily replaced...enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete