Saturday, September 11, 2010

Love?

So explain love to me again.
Explain the faith it takes to put your trust in someone so deeply that you not only give them your heart on a silver platter, you give them a carving knife as well. And then you walk away and trust they will do the right thing.

And what if they don't?

What if they get bored, what if they start seeing it simply as a chunk of meat? What if . . .

I don't know about love, I don't know what it will take for me to date let alone risk moving a relationship to another level. I don't know about staring into someone's eyes and smiling, holding hands as you sit together and desperately waiting for work to end that you can get to see them.

I want to believe,
I want to know that there is more than this.

Perhaps I am simply selfish and need to rather put my energy into my girls and leave love to sort itself out for better or worse. So selfish love seeker and dreamer or just a fool who needs to get on with life?

You tell me.

Good night

2 comments:

  1. I think that the term 'love' has many different meanings and applications. Hebrew and Greek have multiple words for love - much more intelligent than English which mistakenly calls all types of love, 'love.' e.g. I love my wife... I love MacDonalds... that's lame!

    So, what does the Greek say?:

    The love you have for your daughters is 'storge' (family), and the love you're looking for is 'eros' (romance). The love I have for you is filia (friendship). But unless all these 'loves' are filtered through 'agape' (unconditional love)they can be misguided.

    And the Hebrew?:

    You may be familiar with a Nooma DVD called 'flame.' This guy speaks about three Hebrew words for love: Raya, Ahava, and Dod, which mean Friendship, Commitment, and Romance respectively. His idea is that if all three are not present, and if they are not 'obtained' in that order, the relationship can be disasterous.

    Anyway, that's probably too 'academic' a response but that's what came to mind! :-) If it's not helpful, ignore it.

    My closing thought: Eros/Dod: delicate, elusive, precious and evasive if you seek it too intensively, and disappointing if you seek it in isolation from the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read this today, and funny, i was praying about this very thing this morning...

    i have the same issue. i don't get it. i just don't. it confounds me, it eludes me, and yet... i want it. but... how does it happen? and what does it *really* look like? right now, i'm not looking for it, i'm pretty much just living my life and if a man comes along, i won't run screaming for this hills or anything, but i'm not looking. i'm trying to focus on God, and building (and maintaining) love, companionship, etc with Him instead of a man... but then i start to wonder... am i just doing this to protect myself somehow? am i using God as a shield so my heart won't get broken yet again? don't get me wrong: i love God and want a strong and healthy relationship with Him, and with His help, we're getting there. i'm a million miles away from where i was with Him a year ago. but... can't i have both? God *and* a man? sigh.

    good post. and sadly, i have no answers for you, because i'm asking myself these very same questions lately. :S i guess i just want to say this: yeah, dude, i get it. and i'm just as lost and confused as you.

    ReplyDelete