Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tech Free


I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, I am now on round 2 of antibiotics and I can hear all the treehuggers cringe in mock horror. The vegans are covering their pet chickens ears and the carnivores have added more gravy to their lamb chops.

Whatever happened to waking up and bouncing out of bed?
When did 4 of the days of the week feel like Monday and weekends pass quicker than a baked bean through Granddad’s system?

Our glorified rat race has bred a superlinked ultra technological hungry need to know what is happening all the time lab rat, not only can we not escape to peace and quiet, we have convinced ourselves that if we are not contactable 24/7 we might miss something.
Let me relay one of the dangers that has arisen.
When we were children, we would get on our bikes, disappear with our friends and return before dark or face the wrath of Mother. Now the wrath of Mother was far worse that todays equivalent of your Blackberry battery dying at school, or missing a crucial episode of Oprah or even worse,  committing social suicide by going to the mall and Dad decides to skip along like little Red Riding Hood from shop to shop.

We live in a world where appearance and image are placed next to if not higher than godliness, status is the god of our era.
I should add that I am not innocent here, I love technology and there are toys that I have considered giving my good kidney for. A SLR camera, a laptop that works, things that ping and sing, sigh.
Is it possible to withdraw into the 1930’s for a weekend, from a Friday afternoon till a Monday morning with nothing that requires a battery or electricity. Spend time either alone or someone close and sit around a fire at night, read a book, a real book. Lie in a hammock and just listen to life, sip a beverage and forget about life and its worries for a while.

I have to get away from it all, gather my thoughts and decide what is important and what needs to be cut loose so it can drift away.
Anyone keen on a techno-free weekend getaway? Apply within.

Nite All

No comments:

Post a Comment