Saturday, December 10, 2011

Beer & Books

I have just finished a novel, my first in almost 3 years.

It told the tale of brave men and women, love lost and new love discovered, mad religious tyrants and sewer filled streets. Sound familiar?

It seems not much has changed in the last couple of hundred years.
But wait, this tale of treachery, tyrants and tarts lacks an important ingredient!


Beer!

It is the glue that binds friends together, the soothing agent that allows a man to view his wife in a trance like glimmering halo. It has magical powers and can turn a mans sixpack into a barrel, it can turn flatulence into a team sport and can make the most punctual man imagine that time has stood still.

The combination of books and beer led to one of the most important discoveries of our generation. You see, it was the difficulty of focussing on little words that forced the introduction of the periodical, a thin larger book adorned with pictures, short tales and scantily clad ladies selling everything from cars to fridges. Now I have checked many a fridge in stores and not once has a marvellous maiden stepped out. I have however bumped into portly balding sweating men who wish me to purchase female free fridges.

So I salute books and beer and the joy and comfort they have brought me over the years.

Nite all.

5 comments: