Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Driving with Chopsticks


Yes it is exactly what you think it is.
By my definition of the law, talking on a cellphone whilst driving is not permitted, however it says nothing about eating Chinese with chopsticks whist driving.

It was interesting and yes I was hungry and wanted to get to my destination so stopping was not an option. It does make turning sharply a little more difficult, but it can now be ticked off my list of things I never thought I had to do yet did.

I do realise that I am no movie star or famous model, perhaps mirrors do not weep when I step away or sob uncontrollably for me to return, but I am beginning to like who I am.
I am foremost a father, a man who takes parenting seriously and wants it to work. I mess up, I get angry, annoyed, impatient and do not feel very pleased with myself when I do.
I want to give my girls everything and with Christmas looming as close as a Tom Cruise to Katie Holmes, it is very hard for me to look at my potential budget vs potential gift list.

I want to spoil them and see their smiles when they open their gifts and somehow hope they won't be disappointed.

So what is a Dad to do, well like most folk, we do what we can, give what we can and love them and cherish them while we can. I have to lower my expectations and be more realistic when the entire worlds marketing campaign tells me to give more, do more and be more.

At least I drove with chopsticks today and suprised my girls by coming home a little earlier.

Good nite all

3 comments:

  1. Ted, very often it is not so much your expectations that you need to live up to and satisfy - the trick is to exceed the expectations of others, in this case those of your girls. They may be higher but easier to achieve or they may be lower and harder to achieve but in all cases loving and cherishing them and spoiling them with "you" will more than do the trick.I learned this from my son - when I wanted so badly to do something to please him with a gift, a treat or an outing it so often turned out that all he wanted and expected was just time with dad. Having grown with parents who ran a hotel a funny thing has come to light when we look back as a family and as individuals. My mom and late father often spoke about how much they wanted to do for us and they felt guilty they couldnt do more or be there more for us but when we as kids look back we remember the times together and not the times we werent. We remember with love and fondness the things we did do and never consider the things we didnt do or the things we didnt get. So chill, take it easy and just love them with all your strength. Strength bru!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ted
    How do you know you're a dad (lots of men can be fathers but not all are "dads'). It's when photos of your children replace the notes in your wallet. Make what you give special, even if it's something small - children who have values don't measure gifts by their price tags but rather by the spirit in which they were given.
    You doing good and any man who can drive a car with chopstick and not do an injury to himself is really, really smart.
    :-)) Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dieter, spoil them with 'you'!

    ReplyDelete