Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hero or Villain?



What happens to the nice guys in the world today?

They end up losing time and time again. Everyone wants to be the villain, the kids see the swashbuckling pirate, the ex-con who gets his revenge, the good guy who has to cross the line to get what is rightfully his.
And the guys, well, they want the bad girl, the dark lady, the heroine with the tattoo and the distinctively naughty look in her eyes.

What has happened?
What are we teaching our youth, is it acceptable to cross that line to get what is supposedly yours?
I made mistakes, I messed up, I did the heavy alcohol, the recreational drugs, lived on the edge and a little over it.
I realise my decisions had consequences and I left the corporate environment after 2 TIA's or strokes of the brain.

My choice now is a simple one, do I continue along the path of the good guy and live a life that is morally acceptable or do I just say screw it all, its my time, its me time and bugger the world?

Truth is, irrespective of the hand life has dealt me and the burdens I carry, I have 2 daughters who depend on me. I need to somehow continue and give my girls a moral outline for dating, decision making and ultimately life. The manner in which I treat them must set a standard for the men they will date and eventually settle down with.

If this somehow means that I am to remain single, then despite the pain and loneliness, so be it.
Being a parent is not about you, its not about your wants and needs, its about your kids and what you can do for them. My decision to bring them into this world come with responsibility, love and dedication that will in turn allow them to be better parents one day.


So, would I cross the line for my wants and needs?
Nope, I think I Walk the Line

Nite all

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you say with regards to your children,but I also know and I have seen it time and time again, they will one day start their lives and move on. Even though they love you, you wont be priority and you will be left alone! You deserve happiness and you deserve someone special in your life. I say do the best you can as a parent, to be a good parent you too need happiness. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claudia,
    Good points and I agree. A partner will come if it is meant to be, in the interum, I will just pour my energy and love into my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to be a bad-@ss guy to be a hero to your kids. Unconditional love, encouragement and consistency are the most important things. Starting from scratch, I have realised that I should just be ME with my daughter, the happy, loving and nurturing person that I am! I don;t need to put on any other face to get her attention. Dr Ted, looks like you doing an amzing job with your girls - don't go changing! Lisa J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa,
    Its all about listening and spending quality time with them. Have a blog coming up soon called "Spiderwebbing" that explains it all a bit better.

    ReplyDelete