Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Shelter from the Storm

A good friend is similar to the difference between cheap single ply toilet paper and a really decadent twin ply! They look the same, accomplice the same, but the experience and gentle caress cannot be explained.

A good friend will not only help you when you are down and broken, they will provide a safe have for you to recover in.
Brian and Dee and Zane and Trav took me in when the walls came crashing down, they cared for me, checked on me through the night to ensure I had in fact fallen asleep and put up with my mood swings.
They fed me, loved me, hugged me and comforted me and asked for nothing in return.

These are the kind of people that when I moved into my first bachelor flat, came and helped me clean and unpack. Dee and Candy and Melissa cleaned like woman possessed and fussed over me to ensure I had a fair chance to start again.
What do you say to friends like that.
The Readsters brought KFC and helped me with a deposit and food so that I would be able to feed my girls over our first Christmas together.
They covered my counselling sessions when my sad face and tears touched them and Wayne brought me back to church after my rage and anger at God.

The Liprini's flew me to Cape Town for my birthday so that I could stare a mountain and see old friends and somehow just learn to breathe again.

So, why am I so fortunate? Is it my suave hair and wrinkle free complexion? I firmly believe that if you are verging on the borderline between obese and pleasantly plump, you too can be wrinkle free.

Sometimes you get to remove yourself from a situation and look down on your circle of friends and smile through the horror of life, it is almost as if they form a cocoon around you and fend off any unnecessary attacks.

A hug from a friend is like being wrapped in an electric blanket in winter, its like a hot chocolate pudding on a winters night or a air conditioned room in the middle of summer.
Words cannot explain it, it makes you smile and relax.

So to all of you, find someone who needs that cocoon of love and help them, it could very well be the deed that gives them the hope to continue again.

Nite all

1 comment:

  1. An epic writ Ted. You are "rich" in so many ways with such awesome friends. Blessings

    ReplyDelete