Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dating 1 2 3

How do you meet people of the opposite sex nowadays?
Where do you go and what is the latest trend?
Is the man still allowed to buy the lady a drink or has that concept now been declared outdated and sexist?
What is a suitable acceptable age difference or is this totally irrelevant?

Perhaps I should clarify what is I am looking for in a partner/relationship/friend. I want some one to talk to, someone who has a bit of a sense of humour and a non smoker. Cleanliness is important, acceptance of my girls is non-negotiable and if she is a bit of a romantic it would certainly be an added bonus.

So how do I go about it?
Is 'Speed Dating' the way to go, what about those internet sites and how do you actually know that it is a current picture and the person is not a serial killer or even worse, still married.
Kids or no kids, and if there is no spark or magic initially do you simply sit through the evening or end it.

It certainly seems evident that the rules of engagement regarding courting have changed over the years. Do the woman now make the initial contact or is it still generally the man who is declared the official hunter?

I am intrigued by the whole dance, I would have said 'procedure' but that seems to make it sound too clinical. Sparring implies that each of the two 'contestants' are looking for the others weakspot and 'date', well I think it is more of an introduction than a date. All words and so harmless it seems until used in the wrong tone or out of context.

And as for the following words, are they now deemed politically correct?
Babe, honey, sugar, ma'am, doll, and what do the ladies call men nowadays?

It is certainly going to be a journey of a thousand words and not many a dull moment.

Night sugar!

2 comments:

  1. hi Ted
    only discovered yesterday that you were blogging your way through this transition... and it's a good thing! I can remember a time when all the organising I was capable of, was making sentences... and with that comes perspective and eventually healing.
    Of course I am sad to see that this has happened to you, but more than that, I would like you to see the amazing gift that life has offered you... an opportunity to grow and re-discover yourself, and be a stronger, better person.
    I have found amazing comfort and healing in the following things.
    Live in the moment. At times like this, our minds are racing backwards and forwards... and we are saddened by not only memories, but also the thought of a lonely sad future. Allow yourself that luxury sparingly, instead, focus on the now, this breath, this moment....this is your life!!!
    Find joy in the small things. Life will present us every day with wonderful little gifts, recognise it, enjoy, and be grateful. It is everywhere.... a sunny spot in the winter, a good cup of coffee, a smile, discovering that you still have petrol in the tank... dont look for the diamonds only, there are so many small precious stones... find them!!
    Be kind to yourself. Stop blaming yourself, stop taking all the responsibility,stop trying to fix everything and make everybody happy... what happened, happened... and it's done, so move on. Say sorry where you have to, say good-bye where you have to, but ultimately love yourself, and be kind and gentle to yourself. Eat good food, rest, go for walks, listen to good music, read books, take naps...eat chocolate.
    Remember that before you ever had a significant relationship, you were single... and you were ok!!! Think of all the things that you would still like to do in your life, and be surprised at how many of those you can do on your own... being single is at times wonderfully (selfishly) indulgent!!!
    Love comes unannounced, and quiet... and will find you wherever you are... so do not look too hard, or go too far!!
    I was blessed by a man that loves me silly, and one that I can love right back... plain and simple!!
    I wish you the best... keep us posted!!
    I hope I did not sound like I think I know it all, but life has taught me plenty, and I have been blessed by amazing people, books, music and places!!!
    love and light
    Heloise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find women with jobs: To locate a high proportion of good-looking (if somewhat bitter and humourless) women, eat and drink in the area surrounding the High Court. Law offices harbour an astonishing number of female lawyers, article clerks and legal secretaries. All of 'em eat. Runner-up: hospital cafeterias. (Nurses. Lots of nurses.)

    ReplyDelete