Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Friends All Around

When life hits hard and hits low, friends step in, help you to your feet and walk beside you nudging you in the right direction.

They are there in times of trouble with a smile, a hug, a wise word and sometimes a shoulder to cry on. We all need friends. God bless them for all the unseen and behind the scene antics they do for us, often at great sacrifice and expense and expect nothing in return. Today has been another not so great journey and yet I have been given words of encouragement as I will list a little later.

I awoke tired and contemplated the day that awaited me, I desperately wanted to make contact with a friend, my rock, my conscience and counselor, but I couldn’t because I was concerned of ‘worrying’ her. So I went to work with a heavy heart and too much on my mind. I had been at work for perhaps half an hour and a message came through on my phone. It was her saying good morning and asking me how I was. This is what I am talking about, I was given the opportunity to express my fears and a friend had been there to listen.

I received other words of encouragement today, ‘it does get better’ and ‘when you’re going through hell remember to just keep going’.

Another couple who have been friends for over 23 years have insisted on buying me a return air ticket to Cape Town for a desperately needed break from Johannesburg, they also take my messages when I feel the walls closing in and encourage and help in too many ways to mention. My Irish friend, man, you have been through so much and yet you reached out to me from across the ocean and I had the privilege of having supper with you and chatting about life, loss, love, laughter and light at the end of a tunnel at some stage.

Oz holds another set of old friends who have not forgotten me as does Texas, Cape Town, Grahamstown, J’bay, PE, Pretoria, UK, Indonesia, Southern Cape and Stellenbosch. Not to mention Dr Toughlove and the family across the road that have adopted me.

Yes, I am tired of this journey and it has made me weary beyond words and yet it has taught me so much already. I have learnt that things are worthless and bring no joy or lasting satisfaction, love is not eternal but rather a gift that needs to be treasured and worked on. Blessings are all around us and it is our choice whether we open our eyes to see them or simply plod forward crushing dreams, feelings and loved ones in our pursuit of our wants.

I think what I learnt today can best be described as follows;
• Life is hard
• Divorce is a bastard
• Debt is self inflicted and cannot be avoided
• Life is worth living
• Friends are blessings that cannot be bought
• This is bigger than us
• Hell is a good place to grill a steak

And now I must have some supper, I have been listening to Jackson Browne – Running on Empty as I have been chatting to you.

Good Night my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment